gathered waists are not my friend

Cambie #3 (View B)
I made my third (and last, for now) Cambie over the weekend, this time in View B. I never normally wear a gathered waist, but I thought I’d try it this time, having a much smaller lower half these days. Maybe it would look cute?

Cambie Fabric Detail
The outer fabric is a super soft and drapey burnout cotton. The lining (which shows through in the burned out parts) is a striped soft cotton with a tiny bit of stretch. I got about 5 yards of each from Michael Levine Loft for a total of eight bucks. Score!

Cambie #3 (View B)
But no, this silhouette still doesn’t do my figure any favours. Maybe it would be festive in a red silk for a Christmas party dress. It feels like a party dress. Which I can’t say I’ve worn since I was a little girl. Probably for a good reason.

It was a good experiment, with inexpensive (but lovely) fabric. Now I know: gathered waists just aren’t for me.

Next Post

1. Lola

/  July 23, 2012

I love this dress! Too bad we aren’t the same size ;)

2. I think it looks lovely on you! :)

3. I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it out. Although I agree with you that gathered waists are the devil’s work. I love the fabric/lining choices. Gorgeous!

4. I just ordered this pattern to try out. I think the dress has possibility, great fabric and color. What about trying it with different shoes?
    Beth

• Beth, I agree the shoes aren’t the best match. If I’m going to call it a party dress, I’ll need strappier sandals to make the outfit look dressier. I hope you enjoy making up the pattern. I look forward to seeing your results!

5. I beg to differ…..I think it is rather darling on you.
    xoxoxo

6. Heels!!

7. I have nominated you for The Beautiful Blogger Award you can pick it up here and Enjoy!

8. You know what I always say when unsure about waists – put a belt on it! A red belt would look lovely.

I think the gathers look good, but I know what you mean – I don’t feel gather suit me either (big hips and bum)

9. I’m like you – gathered waists are just not my thing, though sometimes you’ve just got to try something to convince yourself, I reckon ;-) I went through a spate of trying some ‘famous on craft blog’ patterns that I suspected wouldn’t quite suit me because they looked great on others and they’re ok, but not my favourites. Your other versions of the Cambie look just perfect on you though. I think I might jump in and try that version of the Cambie myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

1. #DoBraveThings by the #SMS – Week of June 22 | Messy Canvas