in sewing news …

20120219-085322.jpg
20120219-075259.jpg

I made another Two Zip Hipster Bag, this time at the designer’s intended size. I don’t like it as much as the original. The pattern calls for both iron-on and sew-in interfacing; I used canvas for the latter. But as my main fabric is home dec weight, it really wasn’t necessary, and the whole bag just feels too bulky for my liking. Also, predominantly-white is an impractical color for me, so I’m thinking of dyeing the whole thing dark blue, which hopefully won’t change the color of the dupioni silk lining too much.

20120219-075205.jpg

Last night I made the trek to Sew L.A. in Silver Lake to meet Sarai Mitnick of Colette Patterns fame, and get my book autographed. Unexpected bonus: Oonaballoona and Mena Trott (neither of whom live in L.A.) were also in attendance. Both high energy ladies, and a barrel of laughs.

20120219-082244.jpg

As I’d been creeping through Saturday night traffic on the way there, I’d questioned my sanity about making the outing. But I’m so glad I did. It really put a smile on my face, and inspired me to sew some clothes at last.

Previous Post

1. Rhea

/  February 20, 2012

So wonderful to see you smiling!! Oh and I’ll have the bag if you don’t want it…..

2. ~It does not suck to be you this night!~ Oh your smile is so beautiful, alive and joyful…

~Sew on Sista!~

3. redhedphotogirl

/  February 20, 2012

It makes my heart happy to know that you’re happy!

4. Great idea about the overdying! Don’t forget to show us a pic. :)

5. it was absolutely lovely to meet you! i read up a bit after the party and just wanted to say how amazing it is that the perfect spot came to you after all that. i know there are ups and downs but i hope you’re sewing in your tv free tree house right NOW.

6. by the way– when i arrived stag i questioned my sanity too! i had a moment of shyness and then grabbed a lavender soda :)

7. margarita w

/  February 22, 2012

That’s sounds exciting! I’ve never heard of Sew LA……must check it out!